Online Audio Production Lessons
What goes into audio production? What concepts will I learn during online audio production lessons?
The truth is, there’s quite a bit that goes into producing quality audio tracks! This includes equipment, software, knowledge of instruments, and understanding audio concepts.
1) Audio formats
- digital vs. analog
- sample rates vs. bit rate
- human frequency domain (20hz-20Khz)
- nyquist-shannon theorem
- compression: lossy vs. lossless
- conversion do’s & dont’s
2) Equalization in audio production lessons
- treble, mid-range, bass, and sub-bass
- ear training
- graphic vs. parametric
- tuning a solo track vs. adding to a mix
- ear fatigue
3) Compression & Limiting
- attack & decay
- multi-band compression
- side-chain compression
4) Microphones & Speakers for online audio production lessons
- acoustic room treatment
- dead rooms vs. live rooms
- pickup patterns
- proximity effect
- room tone & reverb
Musical Instrument Digital Interface. This is a program or device that connect a number of electronic musical instruments and computers together. During professional online audio production lessons, you will work on This will give you a way to edit, play, and or record music. This includes the following:
- step sequencers
- clips & piano rolls
- midi CC, touchOSC, DMX, ArtNet
- midi clock sync
6) Production workflow
- DAWs: Digital Audio Workstation. Software that allows you to work with multiple audio tracks and combine them together. Ex: Pro Tools, Logic, Ableton, Cubase, FL Studio
- Sample editors: Allows you to edit audio clips. Ex: Audacity
- Restoration & spectral editors: Allows you to edit single frequencies of an audio sample, without having to change the entire sound. Ex: iZotope RX
- DJ & live performance: learning how to use these tools to make or alter music in a live setting.
- Frameworks to organize production workflow. Ex: Max/MSP, PureData, Bidule
- Working with film/video/new media. This will allow you to combine your well-made audio tracks with other types of media to create a final product.
Kimo Knowles is an artist, engineer and educator. Trained in classical piano and viola, Kimo was awarded first place in the MHCC Northwest Orchestra Festival and a gold medal in the Oregon Bach Festival. Kimo holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, with a focus in Art & Technology Studies.
For over 15 years, Kimo has led and contributed to projects in film, video, new media, dance, folk, punk, classical and ambient music. In the classroom, Kimo draws influence from his studies in philosophy, his piano teacher (a Doctor of Psychology) and a career in K-12 STEM education.
Kimo prefers holistic, collaborative and emergent styles of learning, and treasures the relationships of inspiration and respect that make this possible. Kimo is available for lessons in guitar, piano, voice, theory & composition and audio production.