Piano Lessons Portland
Are you looking for piano lessons in Portland/Vancouver? Our piano instructors have been teaching lessons for years and holds advanced degrees, and can take you further with piano lessons at our Portland/Vancouver location.
11818 SE Mill Plain Blvd, Ste 403
Vancouver, WA 98684
Learning the right piano exercises can help make the most out of your learning. Our instructors will work with you on these elements:
1) Your Goals for piano lessons Portland
What you are aspiring towards, what you enjoy. If you don’t find value in what you’re doing, piano lessons at our Portland/Vancouver location won’t feel like they are worth the effort. In that regard, we normally use a combination of tactics to maximize your lesson time. During the first lesson, we will discuss a piece that you would like to learn how to play and locate or draft an arrangement of that piece of music for your next class. We have high hopes for you and the progress you make in lessons. Your goals should be the starting point and the reason for everything!
The ability to play effectively without strain or hurting yourself. Our piano teachers are firm believers in the French Classical technique. The areas of focus for our version of this technique are:
- Clear articulation of the fingers.
- Use of the forearm to prevent wrist strain or damage.
- Fractional pedaling: a technique that allows for very fine control of dynamics, which also positively alters tone and resonance.
- Mastering every block chord in every key, every inversion, every jump or scale. You will minimize fatigue and strain with this level of muscle memory, allowing for fantastic piano lessons and playing for years to come!
- Blind practice – you should be able to tackle material without looking at the keyboard. Learning this method of practice works for students as young as 5 to doctoral candidates!
3) Sight reading in piano lessons Portland
Your ability to learn new pieces quickly will speed up your progress astronomically. During your piano lessons in Vancouver, you will use a combination of computer software, analysis, and constant work on new material. Your piano teacher will try many methods and discuss what works best for you. For example, Alfred Interactive is a wonderful program to use for this purpose, as it produces wholly randomized sight reading exercises.
We use three different series of books interchangeably, depending on the student:
4) Ear Training in Portland piano lessons
Your piano progress will accelerate with the ability to recall. There’s a few ways we use to learn this skill, and your piano teacher will go over each of these:
- call and response techniques
- computer software
- fundamentals of voice to understand how pitch works
- Transposition – the ability to convert a piece from one key to another.
- improvisation – making up a new piece or variation of a piece on the spot.
- sight singing – singing pitch and rhythm accurately from a piece of sheet music
- solfege – the use of hand symbols to learn or read a piece of music
- aspects of the Suzuki method
5) Practice Methods for piano lessons in Portland
There is more involved in growing as a musician than “playing the piece over and over”. When working with a professional piano teacher, you will learn how to reduce something to its most simplistic aspect and then refine and master it. You will then know how to identify problems and how to deal with them if they arise, in addition to the initial learning of a concept. Analysis plays a huge role here (e.g. identify chords, subdivide rhythms, recognize intervals, and understand the building blocks of how various styles of music work).
Simply put, your time is valuable. For this reason, our piano teachers prioritize moving quickly and not droning on about a concept that is wholly understood or already mastered. You may buried in homework, work many hours a week, or generally live a busy life – your time in piano lessons should count. We teach whatever technique or aspect of theory is directly relevant to your musical projects in the moment, providing you the most important and relevant tools to succeed.